Hi, I am Simon Mitchell, aka as ‘simonthescribe’
This site is a publishing platform for my articles themed around green living and ecology.
I run a small business from home designing and making web sites and publishing other media. It exactly breaks even every year. I don’t work all the time. I often enjoy myself and take time off working to play. My line between working and playing is blurred because I write and publish material about ‘lifestyle’.
I’ve got to say I am quite resourceful about this way of living. I sometimes jest to people that I have done so much with so little for so long that I am now qualified to do anything, with nothing!
And this is where you come in:
- You are starting to realize that our ‘economy’ is shot!
- You recognize that our banking systems resemble a bunch of one-legged drunks trying to hold each other up at the end of a party!
- You want to find ways to become more self / community sufficient and not work so hard
Spiraling energy costs and living expenses, increasing redundancy and unemployment are just starting to bite. What is happening in our system is being compared to the financial crisis of the 1930’s but in truth it is much deeper than this.
Our ‘economy’ has been using its capital assets, i.e. the earth’s limited resources, as income, ever since the beginning of the industrial revolution. For this reason it is a house built on sand.
Our banking systems have become so pumped up with their own egos that they have abandoned common sense, investing fortunes in impossible futures, not to mention billions of pounds they have already ‘lost’ that is now being covered by you, the taxpayer.
Our governments, of whatever party, are completely blinkered and tied to a GDP system where our national, and ultimately individual worth is defined by ‘growth at any cost’.
I want to share with you, here on my websites, information about being more resourceful and saving your money, opting out of the patina of security that is the money system. Think: energy, time, resources and creativity.
Examples of articles you will find on my sites include:
- ways to supplement your diet with free and often delicious food from the wild
- how to grow and make delicious food even in the smallest of settings
- using common foodstuffs to promote your health and save buying often harmful drugs from the pharmaceutical industries
- saving energy and even harvesting your own
- making and mending things you might need rather than buying them
- recycling waste into useful and life-enhancing objects
- using ‘free’ or cheap materials to make useful objects
- having fun and enjoying yourself