Imagine my delight when I heard that a musician called ‘Dua Lipa’ had a top-selling chart hit called ‘New Rules’. At last, I thought the young generation are taking their eyes off their mobile phones for a moment. They are discovering what’s going on around them and forming some kind of manifesto to protect themselves and then turning it into a pop video.
Imagine my disappointment when I found out what the new rules are:
- Don’t pick up the phone, you know he’s only calling ‘cause he’s drunk and alone.
2. Don’t let him in, you’ll have to kick him out again.
3. Don’t be his friend, you know you’re gonna wake up in his bed in the morning, and if you’re under him, you ain’t getting over him. I’ve got new rules, I count ‘em.
Small relief in knowing that Dua Lipa can at least count to 3 as she and her band of compatriots strut around in a bossy way asserting these rules to themselves. Rules that exemplify their continued engagement in abusive and self-abusive relationships.
So what Simon, I thought, would be your rules to engage with the planetary level abuse perpetrated by our governments and social systems? The cellular level systems of abuse that create bullying, sexual harassment, rape, pollution, climate change, mass-species extinction and so on. The ‘Big Wetiko’?
- Stop earning enough money to support governments through tax and banks through investments, they will only invest it in weapons manufacture and kill Syrians on your behalf.
- All of our institutions are lies – fictions invented to feed the greedy. Stop supporting with your energy: governments, the economy, free trade, corporations and big business, banks, financial services and investments, the military, corporate-sponsored academia and ‘mass’ education, religion, mass-media, culture invested in social conditioning, healthcare which is really sickness care and big pharma creating medicines that keep you dependent on them and stop you getting well.
- Talk to your neighbours and give them nice things in order to create local networks of people helping and supporting each other.
- Stop using oil based products, petrol and deisel cars, don’t fly.
- Grow and cook your own food, farm your own energy.
- Choose love not fear.
I realise this may not be a popular message but if I can get the above to scan properly I will attempt a pop video where I strut around in my underwear in a bossy way asserting these ‘new rules’ to everyone.